Women’s Support Worker
Classification: Integrated Victim Service Worker and Transition House Worker
Nelson Community Services is seeking a candidate for a casual Transition House Worker at Aimee Beaulieu Transition House. The worker will provide a range of emergency, practical and supportive services to women and their children who are fleeing abuse and who may also present with varied complexities such as mental health and substance use issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To review the full job description click here.
- Diploma in human services or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience supporting vulnerable women and children leaving violence and/or other vulnerable populations.
- A strong understanding of the issues of violence against women and a feminist practice framework
- Working knowledge of harm reduction and reduced barrier practices
- Well-developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Proven experience with crisis intervention and crisis management
- Ability to work well and network with other members of the community
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Working knowledge of relevant community resources
- Must be able to manage well in a stressful environment dealing with clients in crisis situations and that may portray mental health and/or substance use issues
- Must hold a valid First Aid Certificate
The casual employee is required to work day/night shifts, weekdays/weekends and stat holidays as needed. Shifts are 12 hours in length, night shift is a sleep shift. There are also opportunities for additional 4-6 hour shifts within the casual role. This position requires Union membership with BCGEU. The wage is consistent with Wage Grid 11 [$21.92 to $ 25.53 per hour] of the Collective Agreement. This position is open to female applicants only given the nature of the programming being provided at the Transition House. Specific job orientation and training is provided.
This position will remain open until filled. Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Anna Maskerine, Program Manager
via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org