Nelson Community Services is seeking a candidate for a Temporary Full-time Women’s Outreach Worker. The incumbent in this position provides outreach services to adult women who have experienced, or are at-risk of, violence, abuse, or threats, and their dependent children. Program services are delivered within a feminist, trauma-informed framework, and place priority on the safety of women.
Duties and Responsibilities: To view the complete Job description click here.
Diploma in human service field or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Minimum of two (2) years’ recent related experience in supporting women who have experienced violence, abuse, and/or threats.
- Proven knowledge, skills and experience in supporting women who have experienced violence, abuse, and threat.
- Experience in providing supportive counselling and advocacy within a feminist practice framework; ability to respect women’s rights to their own values, beliefs, culture, and choices.
- Competent in working with women from diverse cultural backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Proven skills in conducting safety assessments and safety planning.
- Proven skills in group development and facilitation techniques, particularly with women who have experienced violence and abuse.
- Well-developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with co-workers, other community professionals, and the broader community.
- Good organization, time, and general work management skills; an ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Must hold a valid First Aid Certificate.
- Must carry cell phone, programmed with emergency numbers, when working offsite.
This temporary position is 5 days per week for a total of 70 hours weekly. The position begins in immediately and covers a 12-month maternity leave, with the possibility of extension. It requires Union membership with BCGEU. The wage is consistent with Wage Grid 12 of the Collective Agreement. This position is open to female applicants only given the nature of the programming. Specific job orientation will be provided.
Please submit cover letter and resume by noon on September 28, 2023 to:
Anna Maskerine, Executive Director
via email at: email@example.com