MEET THE BOARD:
Nelson Community Services Society has a volunteer Board of Directors who share the vision, mission and values of the organization.
They provide guidance and support to the operation of the Society.
Cathy Leugner Chair
Tracey Fellowes Secretary
Alison Hutchison Treasurer
Marta Abel Director
Nathan Russ Director
Chris Smith Director
INTERESTED IN JOINING OUR BOARD?
Nelson Community Services began as a drop-in, crisis service in the late 60’s. In 1972, Nelson Community Services incorporated as a non-profit society under the BC Societies Act and has been delivering counselling, education, outreach, referrals and support services to families, youth, and individuals in Nelson and area since that time. We employ a team of professional counsellors and support workers led by an Executive Director and leadership team.
Why Join our Team?
Nelson Community Services is governed by a Board of Directors (maximum of 12) made up of volunteers that are representative of our diverse community and who represent the needs of the community in relation to the Society’s mission. Volunteers with backgrounds in social work, education, finance, fundraising, legal, personnel, human rights, real estate, communications, and public safety are ideal candidates for the governance role at NCS. We are open those community members who embrace the work and the values of NCS.
Being a Board member can be a very satisfying way to contribute to one’s community. In a governance role, you are largely responsible for the ‘big picture’ tasks (the agency’s mission, its values, its policies, and its strategic plan) as opposed to the day-to-day operations of the programs. The Board works together to make decisions using consensus decision making guidelines
What does a Board Member do?
- You are an advocate for NCS in the community
- You oversee the fiscal and legal responsibility of NCS
- You contribute your expertise and serve on committees
- You support the Executive Director in carrying out their operational responsibilities
- You develop strategic and policy direction for the organization
How might you benefit from joining NCS’ Board?
- Opportunity to work with an interesting and diverse group of people
- Opportunity to learn about how an organization and its staff work to meet community needs
- Develop a deeper understanding of our community’s social issues
- Guide the organization towards its future vision
- Develop skills in other areas that might benefit you in your career
Board members at NCS are volunteers and do not receive remuneration for their services. There are six meetings per year, plus the Annual General Meeting, along with some Board Committee work throughout the year. Orientation to being a Board member is provided along with training opportunities to deepen one’s understanding of the role of the Board and its members. Terms of office are two years and can be renewed.
If this opportunity looks interesting to you, we would love to sit down and chat with you. We invite you to go to our website and read more about our staff, and our programs and services. Feel free to fill out our Board Application Form or chat with one of our directors by calling 250 352 3504 to arrange an appointment.