The NCS Society AGM was held September 25th
In the Chamber of Commerce Board Room
at the Train Station in Nelson.
We acknowledge that the land upon which we gathered this evening and
upon which Nelson Community Services offers its services
is the traditional territory of the peoples who have lived here for thousands of years —
the Ktunaxa, the Sylix, and the Sinixt.
We respect and honour all our relations.
Guest Presenter: Ann Harvey, the Coordinator of the Nelson Committee on Homelessness and the developer of the Report Card on Homelessness, described in more detail the findings on youth homelessness in Nelson.
We invite you to read our reports and view our financials…
Agenda and Committee Reports
We also celebrated several of our staff for their years of service with NCS. A special recognition went to Pat Hendrickson who completed 30 years of dedicated service with Nelson Community Services!
Nelson Community Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Relief Administrative Assistant to provide coverage on a casual and as-needed basis at our Main Office. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Office administration certificate or the equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent reception skills.
- Superior computer skills; working knowledge of a variety of relevant software application programs.
Orientation, job-specific training, and advance notice is provided.
Base wage + 4.2% in lieu of vacation. The position will remain open until filled by a suitable candidate. This position is a non-management/excluded position.
Please submit resume to:
Rona Park, NCS Executive Director
# 201 – 518 Lake Street, Nelson, BC V1L 4C6
Fax: (250) 352-3750
JOB TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Reports to: Executive Director
Effective Date: March 2009
Updated: January 2016
Job Summary: The incumbent in this position provides a variety of reception, clerical, administrative, executive support, and office management duties as well as coordinates the Agency’s Main Office fire safety and WorkSafe procedures. The incumbent is the first aid attendant for the Main Office worksite.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs Agency’s reception duties including answering the phone and responding to in-person inquiries and routing to appropriate staff members
- Ensures Agency’s reception is welcoming that the public areas of the office are maintained in a clean, efficient, and professional-looking manner.
- Performs program support duties such as providing information to clients and visitors, assisting with intake process, proofreading program materials for accuracy, developing program posters, etc.
- Performs financial supports such as receipting donations, organizing timesheets, etc.
- Provides word processing support such as routine correspondence, meeting minutes, forms, etc. to Board of Directors, Executive Director, and staff members.
- Maintains the Agency’s website.
- Organizes all information required for the accreditation process; provides administrative support to the accreditation team.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail and prepares outgoing mail.
- Maintains client appointment logs, room bookings, meeting schedules, and Agency bulletin boards.
- Develops new employee orientation packages and orients new employees to Agency forms and office procedures, including distribution of office keys, new email addresses, etc.
- Manages Exiting Employees procedures.
- Ensures office equipment is well-maintained; instructs staff in the use of all office equipment.
- Manages a petty cash fund.
- Creates new personnel files; maintains all personnel files and ensures they are up-to-date.
- Develops and maintains administrative filing systems, including file archives.
- Ensures an adequate supply of office supplies, equipment, and furnishings; has the authority to seek quotes and negotiate purchase prices.
- Performs the duties of the Fire Safety and WorkSafe manager for the Agency’s Main Office worksite; in accordance with the Nelson Fire Department, develops the Agency’s fire safety plan and evacuation procedures and ensures regular fire drills.
- Acts as the First Aid attendant for the Agency’s Main Office worksite.
- Participates as a member of the Agency’s Performance Quality Improvement committee.
- Maintains complete confidentiality of privileged Agency information.
- Attends regular supervision meetings with the Executive Director including an annual performance review and development of a training plan; attends Agency staff meetings.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Office administration certificate or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
A minimum of two (2) years’ recent office administration experience that includes clerical and reception functions.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; excellent reception skills.
- Demonstrated ability to type 60 words per minute; superior computer skills; working knowledge of a variety of relevant software application programs; website management skills.
- Ability to organize work and carry out duties with relative independence.
- Ability to respond to others’ questions and inquiries in a professional manner.
- Ability to operate telephone switchboard and other office equipment.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and deal with challenging situations.
- The position requires exposure to demanding telephone callers or in-person visitors.
- Must have the ability to perform some lifting and moving of office supplies, furnishings, etc.