Nelson Community Services is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Relief Administrative Assistant to provide coverage on a casual and as-needed basis at our Main Office. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Office administration certificate or the equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent reception skills.
- Superior computer skills; working knowledge of a variety of relevant software application programs.
Orientation, job-specific training, and advance notice is provided.
Base wage + 4.6% in lieu of vacation. The position will remain open until filled by a suitable candidate. This position is a non-management/excluded position.
Please submit resume to:
Rona Park, NCS Executive Director
# 201 – 518 Lake Street, Nelson, BC V1L 4C6
Fax: (250) 352-3750
JOB TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Reports to: Executive Director
Effective Date: March 2009
Updated: March 2019
Job Summary: The incumbent in this position provides a variety of reception, clerical, administrative, executive support, and office management duties as well as coordinates the Agency’s Main Office Fire Safety and Emergency procedures. The incumbent is the first aid attendant for the Main Office worksite.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs the Agency’s reception duties including answering the phone, responding to in-person inquiries, and ensuring Agency’s reception and common areas are welcoming and professional spaces.
- Performs a range of clerical and administrative duties that support the Agency’s executive, management, finance, and Board of Directors functions.
- Supports program staff by overseeing client booking calendar, welcoming new clients, assisting with initial intake process, ensuring updated Agency forms are in good supply, assisting with the development of program materials, and program promotion strategies.
- Participates in the orientation process of all new employees, students, and volunteers, which includes maintaining New Employee Orientation manuals, orientation to office and office systems, distribution of office keys, arranging for email addresses, phones, computers, etc.; oversees exiting employee procedures.
- Maintains Agency personnel and administrative filing systems (paper and electronic) in a confidential, organized, and up-to-date manner.
- Maintains all Agency Policies and Procedures binders in current and orderly manner.
- Coordinates Agency’s media contacts and information, including website management, advertising quotes, stakeholder lists, and media files.
- Performs a wide range of office management duties including monthly worksite inspections, overseeing janitorial contractor, ensuring office equipment is in good working order, computer-troubleshooting functions, overseeing office security measures, maintaining Agency inventory, managing Agency storage needs and spaces, and recycling.
- Purchases office supplies and materials, as required.
- Performs the duties of the Fire Safety manager for the Agency’s Main Office worksite; performs Emergency and Service Continuity procedures as required.
- Acts as the primary First Aid attendant for the Agency’s Main Office worksite.
- Plays a key role in the Agency’s quality improvement and accreditation processes, including gathering and collating monthly and annual data, implementing surveys, and uploading accreditation information.
- Ensures compliance with all Agency policies, procedures, standards, and relevant legislation.
- Maintains complete confidentiality of privileged Agency and client information.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Office Administration Certificate or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
A minimum of two (2) years’ recent office administration experience that includes reception and administrative functions. Experience supporting at an executive level is desirable.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and ability to respond to others’ questions and inquires in a timely, professional manner.
- Previous reception experience and knowledge of telephone switchboard and other office equipment.
- Strong website management skills coupled with a keen interest in this area.
- Ability to work independently, organize and adapt to shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills with high degree of thoroughness, accuracy and confidentiality.
- Advanced skills in Office 365 (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) and working knowledge of a variety of relevant software application programs.
- Basic computer troubleshooting skills.
- Skilled at building relationships across the organization.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and deal with challenging situations.
- The position requires exposure to demanding telephone callers or in-person visitors.
- Must have the ability to perform some lifting and moving of office supplies, furnishings, etc.